Woke up to our last full day on Daufuskie Island, and not wanting to change our routine, had our coffee on our favorite Andirondack chairs while we gazed at the ocean. It was a beautiful morning with warm breezes and clear skies. The perfect time for a morning stroll.
We were making our daily walk on the beach when we realized we were running out of beach because of the encroaching high tide. As usual we left our sandals at the reed line on the beach in front of our cottage, but we were about a half a mile down the shore, and if we didn't pick up the pace two things would happen. The first and most important would be that we would be swimming the whole way back, and secondly our sandals would be lost to the surf. We decided we would run back, and of course with Mark being the much faster runner that he is, sprinted ahead to save our sandals. I was about 50 feet back when Mark reached the shoes and pumped his fists over his head in a Rocky like dance.
We were warm from our exertion and decided we would go for a swim in the ocean. I want to prefice the rest of the story with something Jim had told us earlier in the week. He said if we planned to go in the ocean it was a good idea to wear shoes because the horseshoe crabs like to hang out in the shallows and were very sharp, when stepped on. After putting on my sandals I was in the ocean lickety split.
I was being tossed around in the waves and I looked back wondering as to what was taking Mark so long. Unfortunately, the look on his face said it all. As he bent over to strap on his sandals he felt a giant charliehorse in his lower back. How was pretty much "toast" the rest of the day, and tried to find comfort and relief from the pain. We were leaving on Friday and knew we had an hour long boat ride and at least another 12 hours in the car.
Mark alternated between spending the afternoon in and out of the non heated pool, which acted as a lower body ice pack, and laying flat on the floor. At least he could still see the ocean from where he was laying.
I made a couple back and forth trips from our cottage to the golf club so I could return our bikes. I surely got my exercise that day.
We had reservations for dinner at the Eagles Nest, and because there was no food left in the refrigerator Mark said he could make the drive over, but I would be driving the golf cart. We needed to take a much longer route because we wanted to stay on "pavement" and avoid the bumpiness of the dirt trails.
With no drug store, Mark eased his pain with a couple Driftwood martinis. After a wonderful dinner of stuffed eggplant and cannellonis, we headed back in the pitch black night, but this time we didn't turn off our headlights.


No comments:
Post a Comment